ActivClassroom in Action
Applying Research-Based Solutions to Get REAL RESULTS
Identifying the most appropriate tools, and then helping teachers use them effectively.
Keys to Success:
- Bridging Technologies that are easy to learn and use, and that build upon teacher’s current knowledge.
- Digital Content that is high quality and aligned to state standards.
- Professional Development that integrates technology and 21st century instructional best practices.
Where to Start? 1:1 Laptops or Interactive Whiteboards?
1:1 laptops, multi-media and interactive whiteboards have been identified by visionary administrators as the top 3 tools that hold the greatest potential for improving student achievement. (Leadership in the 21st Century: The New Visionary Administrator). Multi-media works well on both technology platforms. So the question then becomes, “Where should we start? 1:1 laptops or technology rich classrooms?”.
3 Critical Considerations:
When determining how to get the greatest educational impact, three key areas must be considered:
- Effectiveness: Does it work? Can all teachers master? Does research confirm REAL IMPACT?
- Universal Access: Is it scalable? Will it be available to all student populations?
- Affordability: What are the up-front costs? What are the ongoing costs? Is it sustainable?
“We want technology to be almost a thoughtless, seamless process…technology should be as automatic as picking up chalk.”
- Irving (Nick) Nicholson, Director of eLearning Programs,
Chicago Public Schools