1. What is Title XIV and how can it help curriculum delivery?
- Title XIV is a funding opportunity through the federal government.
- This is a new (one time) funding source
- Funds are provided specifically for modernization of schools
- It can be used for hardware that modernizes schools – such as the ActivClassroom.
- Modernization should be in line with improving learning with in the educational setting
- Funds can be utilized in a plan that incorporates other funds such as IDEA, Title 1, and EETT.
2. How soon will districts get this money?
- States are in the process of making application to the Federal Government.
- Once the State level has determined it’s process for delivery of the funds to the districts, funds should be delivered by Summer of 2009.
- Some districts are aware of this funding, but unsure how to use it.
3. Why should districts use the funds on modernization efforts that include Promethean?
- Improve Student Achievement: A recent study, "Evaluation Study of the Effects of Promethean ActivClassroom on Student Achievement" found that students taught using the Promethean ActivClassroom achieved an average of 17 percentile points higher than students taught by the same teacher, teaching the same content, using traditional methods. An experienced teacher can expect even greater results. This research was conducted by Dr. Robert Marzano, the most respected researcher of effective educational strategies.
- Foundation for a 21st Century Classroom: President Obama has committed to “launch the most sweeping effort to modernize and upgrade school buildings that this country has ever seen.” A digital classroom is central to that mission. The ActivClassroom provides an integrated, comprehensive set of instructional tools that serve as the foundation for a 21st century classroom.
4. What data exists that shows that the ActivClassroom has significant impact on student achievement?
- Current research being conducted by Dr. Robert Marzano notes an average 13-17 percentile increase in student achievement when using the ActivClassroom
- During Dr. Marzano’s keynote at CUE (CA Users Conference) on March 6, 2009, he stated that the preliminary research findings show that teachers who have been teaching at least 2 years, who are proficient with the ActivClassroom technology and who use the ActivClassroom an average of 75% of the time average a 30% improvement in student achievement.
- A copy of the preliminary report can be downloaded from the Research section of this website.
- Dr. Marzano is a major research specialist and published author in the area of education. His most recent work is the “Art of Teaching”. He is well respected by educational leadership nationwide.