This version dated March 20, 2007
At Promethean we recognise that privacy is important. This Policy applies to all of the products, services and websites offered by Promethean Ltd. or its subsidiaries or affiliated companies (collectively, Promethean's "services").
If you have any questions about this Policy, please feel free to contact us through our website or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to us at Promethean Limited, Promethean House, Lower Philips Road, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB15TH UK.
Information we collect and how we use it:
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide - When you sign up for a Promethean Account or other Promethean service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password). For certain services, such as our online shop, we also request credit card or other payment account information which are maintained in encrypted form on secure servers owned by our Merchant Vendor Protx. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Promethean services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- Log information - When you use Promethean services, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- User communications - When you send email or other communication to Promethean, we may retain those communications in order to process your enquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Links - Promethean may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our customised content and advertising.
- Providing our products and services to users, including the display of customised content and advertising;
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
- Developing new services.
Promethean processes personal information on our servers in Canada and in other countries. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country. We only process personal information to provide our own services to you and this information is never disclosed to a third party. This is subject to a legal challenge to provide such information.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
If we propose to use personal information for any purposes other than those described in this Policy, we will offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes. We will not collect or use sensitive information for purposes other than those described in this Policy, unless we have obtained your prior consent.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case Promethean may not be able to provide those services to you.
Promethean only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Promethean in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Promethean, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Promethean may transfer the personal data it holds as part of a transfer of all or the relevant part of its business or assets.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular resource, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact us at the address below for any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorised access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Promethean employees who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Promethean processes personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Policy or any applicable service-specific privacy notice. We review our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use Promethean services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardise the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users' personal information.
Promethean regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or Promethean's treatment of personal information by contacting us through this web site or via email to email@example.com or by writing to us at Promethean Limited, Promethean House, Lower Philips Road, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB15TH UK. When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is Promethean's policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between Promethean and an individual.
Changes to this policy
We expect most such changes will be minor. Regardless, we will post any Policy changes on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice (including, for certain services, email notification of Policy changes). Each version of this Policy will be identified at the top of the page by its effective date.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about this Policy, please feel free to contact us any time through this web site or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to Promethean Limited, Promethean House, Lower Philips Road, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB15TH UK.